The Importance of Choosing the Right Engine Oil and How to Check It
Ensuring your vehicle’s engine is well-maintained is crucial for its longevity and performance. One of the most fundamental aspects of engine care is selecting the right engine oil and regularly checking its condition. As modern engines become smaller and more powerful, manufacturers are recommending complex full synthetic oils to meet higher engine pressures and fuel efficiency targets. In this blog, we’ll explore the significance of choosing the right engine oil and provide tips on how to check your car’s oil.
Choosing the Right Engine Oil:
When it comes to selecting the appropriate engine oil for your vehicle, it’s important to refer to your owner’s manual. This manual contains valuable information about the industry specifications, types, and grades of oil recommended by the manufacturer. The options can vary significantly depending on the make, model, and age of your vehicle.
- Full Synthetic vs Conventional Oil : Manufacturers often specify full synthetic motor oil for modern muscle cars and European imports due to their advanced engines. While conventional oil may be more economical, full synthetic oil offers superior engine protection and performance.
Benefits of Regularly Checking Your Engine Oil:
Regularly checking your engine oil is a simple yet effective way to maintain your vehicle’s health. Here are some compelling reasons to make this a routine practice:
- Longevity: Adequate lubrication is essential to prevent engine wear and tear. Regular oil checks ensure your engine is consistently receiving the lubrication it needs, promoting longevity.
- Optimal Performance: Engine oil plays a vital role in ensuring your vehicle runs smoothly. Well-maintained oil contributes to optimal engine performance, including better fuel efficiency and power output.
- Early Problem Detection: By inspecting your oil regularly, you can spot potential issues such as oil leaks or contaminants that could lead to engine damage. Detecting these problems early can save you from costly repairs down the road.
Tips on How to Check Your Engine Oil:
Now that you understand the importance of checking your engine oil regularly, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Park on level Surface: Ensure your car is parked on a level surface to get an accurate oil level reading.
- Wait for the engine to cool: It’s best to check the oil when the engine is cold or has been turned off for a few minutes to allow the oil to settle.
- Locate the dipstick: Open your vehicle’s hood and locate the oil dipstick. It usually has a bright handle for easy identification.
- Remove and wipe the dipstick: Remove the dipstick, wipe it clean with a cloth, and reinsert it fully.
- Check the oil level: Pull the dipstick out again and examine the oil level. It should fall within the recommended range marked on the dipstick. If it’s too low, add oil as needed.
- Inspect the oil’s condition: Additionally, inspect the colour and consistency of the oil. Healthy engine oil is typically amber or brown. If you notice a milky or dark, gritty appearance, it may indicate a problem and require professional attention.
Selecting the right engine oil and checking it regularly are essential steps in maintaining your vehicle’s performance and longevity. By following your owner’s manual’s recommendations and conducting routine oil checks, you can ensure that your engine runs smoothly and avoid potential issues. Remember that proper engine care is an investment in the long-term health and reliability of your vehicle.
Our Customer Service Belief
Our customer service belief
SA Lube is a proud supporter of the Little Eden Society, a registered non-profit organisation providing life-long care to 300 children and adults. Little Eden is a registered non-profit organisation and PBO providing life-long care to 300 children and adults with profound intellectual disability in two custom designed residential facilities – Domitilla and Danny Hyams Home in Edenvale, and Elvira Rota Village, in Bapsfontein.